bugs

Ville [48]
2013-02-24 21:03:45
[11 years, 84 days ago]

When I play with my cell phone, every time I switch from a wifi connection to a 3G connection it logs me off. The red box says that my bot has been logged on from another location. It's really inconvenient when you're houses wifi ends on your front porch. Makes it hard to sit out side as watch the sun set.

Moo [148]
2013-02-24 21:18:38
[11 years, 84 days ago]

thats a common issue.

Lobster [89]
2013-02-24 22:17:41
[11 years, 84 days ago]

its amazing too think how far teqnolagy has come since bots2. back then you wouldnt be able too play on your phone thats for sure.. p.s mind my poor spelling :P

Ville [48]
2013-02-24 22:41:22
[11 years, 84 days ago]

It still sucks though. Ender should fix it, it shouldn't log you out. I don't share passes so it doesn't matter to me.

Jans [87]
2013-02-25 01:55:49
[11 years, 84 days ago]

It has nothing to do with your password. It's because of the maximum number of bots you're allowed to log on at a time. It uses IP to keep track of that. When you switch from wifi to 3g, your IP changes.

Anyway, it's not a bug. But if your own wifi signal doesn't make it to the porch, there's something wrong though. (or you have a really big house). Maybe relocate your router for better reception. Or get a better one. Or get a wifi repeater/extender.

dragonrose [53]
Head Moderator
2013-02-25 02:06:28
[11 years, 84 days ago]

wiggin's response

he is aware of this issue & intends to do something about it "soon", altho that response was posted well over a year ago ...

oi wiggin! any progress/update?

Ender [1]
Administrator
2013-02-26 01:10:04
[11 years, 83 days ago]

Thanks for linking that, dragonrose. I've been indeed wanting to get rid of this.

I did pick this up at some point within the past couple months, but got stuck when trying to update the database query behind the "x number of people are playing y bots at once" chart on the online page. I couldn't come up with a reasonable way of doing that in the face of changing IPs. Do people even care about those stats? I guess I could just remove it until I feel like sitting down and working out the magic for it.

And yeah, this will also have some implications for the max number of bots per IP stuff. Enforcing that becomes trickier.

Trio [312]
2013-02-26 19:39:14
[11 years, 82 days ago]

I'm in no way a programmer so I know I have almost no knowledgeable input to this but can't the system just note what IP is accessing the bot ID/name and track by ID/name instead of IP address? And then have a limit of 2 IPs able to access the bot at the same time, to allow for wireless players to use their devices.

And if someone is in fact logging into the bot from two different places priority could be given to the first logging IP and dump the second one from any control?

Zal [133]
2013-02-26 19:50:34
[11 years, 82 days ago]

I don't see a point in this really. You're switching from wifi to 3G. The game isn't fully integrated for mobile. If it were it'd be an app and it would need a lot more work. It just seems like a complete waste of time to even think of it in my opinion unless you want to fully integrate the game with mobiles.

And I am not amused that my silly post got deleted. Are we going back to the no fun time of bots2 rose? Where if we didn't kiss your ass you'd delete all our posts?

Jans [87]
2013-02-27 01:59:01
[11 years, 82 days ago]

@Zal; changing ip's wouldn't normally be a problem to stay logged in on a website. Cookies/sessions keep track of that. So it has nothing to do with whether the game is mobile-ready or not.