bugs

Forum > Bugs > Online History
Reply To Thread (login)
Regera [32]
2017-09-22 20:52:20
[6 years, 188 days ago]

It does not seem to be working for me...

http://bots4.net/online/history

Ender [1]
Administrator
2017-11-19 18:26:58
[6 years, 130 days ago]

Yeah, this had unfortunately been broken since late 2016 I believe. I finally got around to addressing it, so it should be fixed now. Sorry for the delay.

The problem was the number of data points trying to be shown. Because I started collecting minute-resolution data in mid-2016, it eventually got the point where the PHP script would run out of memory trying to deal with all the data. Just giving the script more memory fixed that problem, but then the resulting dataset was too large to write to the database (this is how the caching mechanism used on this page and the documentation page works). And even if I fixed that, the minute-resolution data makes the charts virtually unreadable without zooming in.

It's possible I could have continued in that direction for the fix and somehow tinkered with the chart rendering to make it readable even with many data points when not zoomed in, but instead I decided to just use only ~daily[*] data points. This is good enough to show trends, which is the main purpose of the charts. Max online counts per time period are an unfortunate casualty of this change, but the data still exists (and will continue to be collected) - maybe someday I'll figure out a way to make it feasible to explore this data with this page.

[*] Note that I said "~daily" instead of "daily" because the minimum gap between data points is actually 23 hours instead of 24. This is to reduce time-of-day bias in the online count chart.

Forum > Bugs > Online History
Reply To Thread (login)