Forum > Suggestions > Clan hierarchy
Reply To Thread (login)
Jans [58]
2011-03-06 02:57:01
[13 years, 61 days ago]

It's roughly the same as in Bots2, but with two notable differences;

- Only 1 member can have the top rank
- Everyone automatically has a rank

In Bots2, the founder position was independent of the matrix. And ranks were regarded as leadership positions. Here though, everyone has a position, but naturally, new recruits don't get any permissions. And since only the owner can hold the top position, we're effectively 2 ranks short.

Suggestions/questions:
- Is it possible to reintroduce the members/leader difference Bots2 had? When people join, their default status is 'member'. That way ranks are reserved for people who can be trusted with permissions.
- Can more people hold the top rank position please?
(in other words, can 'owner' be separated from the top rank?)
- Can 'Matrix' be added to the permission matrix please? It's a powerful setting, but at certain times in the competition it's important enough it should be shared with other leaders.

I'm no bot builder, and literally have no clue what stuff like attack and defense rating does, but clan management is my forte. The difference between 'leadership' and 'foot soldiers' is quite essential imo. It motivates people to gain trust and get promoted. Getting promoted to your first rank is a big deal. You're recognized as a part of the group. Also, i like leadership to be as democratic as possible; except for ownership, everyone should be able to reach the top position.

Shadowfax [95]
2011-03-06 12:22:34
[13 years, 60 days ago]

I would much rather have regular members and then leaders. I think regular members must work their way up to be officers. I also feel like you should be able to have as many top ranks as you want:

dragonrose [35]
Head Moderator
2011-03-06 16:00:37
[13 years, 60 days ago]

ok having experienced an uber lazy clan leader ... I would actually like it if several players had the same kind of power as the owner. Like co-owners or something.

User Name [294]
2013-06-05 10:14:59
[10 years, 334 days ago]

BUMP!

DarkNinjaMaster [76]
2013-06-05 23:09:42
[10 years, 333 days ago]

You Sir, are officially the king of thread necromancers!

*Bows*

Ender [1]
Administrator
2013-06-06 01:55:32
[10 years, 333 days ago]

Better late than never responding...

• Is it possible to reintroduce the members/leader difference Bots2 had? When people join, their default status is 'member'. That way ranks are reserved for people who can be trusted with permissions.

I'm not clear on how this differs much from just assigning someone the lowest rank.

• Can more people hold the top rank position please? (in other words, can 'owner' be separated from the top rank?)

I think having a single owner works nicely for a few different reasons. I tried to give clan ownership more visibility in bots4 than it had in bots4; this is why the clan owner is listed on the clan rankings page, is mentioned in end-of-month summaries, etc. I think having co-owners would kind of dilute this effect without really offering much in exchange.

• Can 'Matrix' be added to the permission matrix please? It's a powerful setting, but at certain times in the competition it's important enough it should be shared with other leaders.

Seems reasonable, but this is pretty low priority.

Port Royal [209]
2013-06-06 02:12:35
[10 years, 333 days ago]

I think having a single owner works nicely for a few different reasons. I tried to give clan ownership more visibility in bots4 than it had in bots4; this is why the clan owner is listed on the clan rankings page, is mentioned in end-of-month summaries, etc. I think having co-owners would kind of dilute this effect without really offering much in exchange.

Than it had in bots2 :)

Jans [87]
2013-06-06 03:17:35
[10 years, 333 days ago]

I'm not clear on how this differs much from just assigning someone the lowest rank.

Technically no difference, but more of a visual / psychological difference. It would show a clear distinction between members and leaders. Soldiers and officers. Having a certain rank in a clan should mean something.

Perhaps sorting members by rank would do the same trick.

I agree a clan should have an owner. But usually there are other leaders who are on the same level of trust. So that means the 2nd highest rank usually has all available permissions. That's no problem of course, just means there are less ranks to play with.

Top two ranks: all permissions, for owner and co-owners
Lowest rank: no permissions, for new members

Currently only leaves two ranks for promotions.

User Name [294]
2013-06-06 22:35:46
[10 years, 332 days ago]

I agree with Jans. Although it might not seem like it matters a lot to you about "rank", it does play a certain role and the way it's set up now kind of shrugs it off as being just a title, not really a hierarchy of sorts.

User Name [294]
2013-06-06 22:37:43
[10 years, 332 days ago]

In that regard I really did like the way Bots2 set up was as far as the "members" and the "clan leaders/ranked bots" went with the split. If you remove the NC perhaps the "space could just be reintroduced as the "standard" member section and have the area where the clan sits now for leaders or ranked members.

Ender [1]
Administrator
2013-06-06 23:23:53
[10 years, 332 days ago]

I'll bump up the number of available ranks soon. Maybe 8 total (including owner)?

And that makes sense about non-ranking members. I guess it wouldn't be too much effort to make the lowest rank name unchangeable from "member" and give it a more plain visual treatment, so look for that change coming soon too.

Forum > Suggestions > Clan hierarchy
Reply To Thread (login)