complaints

Forum > Complaints > Arguing with Mods
Reply To Thread (login)
Dragon Summoner [118]
2011-04-18 15:54:32
[13 years, 21 days ago]

Now when I say this, I don't mean like being "Wow Mods on this site are stupid and the rules are stupid and you're all faggots" because that's retarded. Everyone knows mods on all sites are useless and can't speak English and all that.

What I mean is, say it's a decent topic, and a Mod comes in and posts his opinion about something, and either it's wrong, as in actually wrong "I think the US dollar is the strongest dollar!" or opinion wrong "I think all rock music sucks!" is anyone else a bit hesitant to argue with them?

Like, in another forum I frequent I got into a discussion with the admin of a site over piracy, after making a post saying that I download because I can't afford all the music I want, but I support the artists by going to concerts/purchasing their clothes etc, which goes straight to them over CDs, and they reply that I'm just a dirty thief and that's the only excuse anyone like me ever makes etc.

I replied once, then stopped, because of two reasons;
1) Topic closed, leading me to believe that "lol I beat the Admin"
2) His comeback was arrogant and stupid

tl;dr
Do you ever get into arguments with mods/admins on forums? Am I the only one that feels they abuse their status as such to end discussions?

Sera [110]
2011-04-18 15:57:27
[13 years, 21 days ago]

If the mod was perfect he shouldy even argue on the forum :p

Sera [110]
2011-04-18 15:58:42
[13 years, 21 days ago]

Sorry for the short reply to such a long post but im not gonna type tht much whilst using an iphone to play/read bots. :p

Jans [76]
2011-04-18 15:59:37
[13 years, 21 days ago]

When i was a mod i got into discussions with myself all the time.

Dragon Summoner [118]
2011-04-18 16:02:06
[13 years, 21 days ago]

Every post in this topic thus far was from a Bots2 Mod. FUCKIN' WHACK

Anyway that said, like if Ender posted a topic asking, fuck I don't know, what your style of dress was, and say he dressed in drag daily, would anyone be like "Why the fuck do you do that you stupid homo" (maybe a bit nicer) or would they be like "Fuck let's insult someone else because I don't wanna risk a ban!"

Just a bit of food for thought, I suppose. Like I like arguing with anyone, because it's easy and fun, though it depends on where, like I never do it on JSP because it just gets you a 10% Warn + 24 Hour Suspension, which is some bullshit.

tl;dr
Fuck the Knicks

Jans [76]
2011-04-18 16:18:24
[13 years, 21 days ago]

On a more serious note; mods suck, little to no exceptions. Give people some authoritah and they'll start acting like douchebags. And the ones that aren't douchebags swing to the other end of the scale and turn into invertebrates. I tried real hard to be an objective mod, but it just isn't possible 100% of the time.

What Sera says is true; when a mod doesn't participate in discussions, or doesn't even play the game, he's more likely to be neutral. But more often than not, mods tend to be the most active posters themselves.

So here's to hoping they won't be introduced in Bots4! We're adults, goddammit, we don't need this. At the most, there might be a need for a kindergarten teacher, who's sole power is to give spammy children short time outs.

tl;dr
Respect mah authoritah!

Umbrella1 [86]
2011-04-18 16:20:10
[13 years, 21 days ago]

I really messed this build up

Umbrella1 [86]
2011-04-18 16:22:15
[13 years, 21 days ago]

49 base int, no redis points and conq axes.

Could have done better

fucking mods

Ender [56]
Administrator
2011-04-18 16:32:21
[13 years, 21 days ago]

I agree with pretty much all of what has been said. Being a moderator sucks and so does being moderated. I consider myself a mature adult and honestly sometimes feel most at home on /b/ because of its lack of rules. You can say/post whatever you want and there's no worrying about whether you will offend someone or give an unpopular opinion. Reddit's an example of a (mostly) unmoderated forum with intelligent discussion and I think the lack of moderation lends to that.

I'm pretty sure the bots4 policy will just be "no spam and nothing illegal", so hopefully we'll be safe from moderation woes. And since I guess I'm the only moderator atm (though I don't think I've done any moderating), I guess I'll say don't worry about offending me. If you say something I disagree strongly with though, I will reply.

Sera [110]
2011-04-18 17:19:10
[13 years, 21 days ago]

Just reply or moderate them? :)

Erica in a way i also think you like to test out with how much you do can get away with so the mod doesnt matter its a matter of time till u hit their limit ;p

Dragon Summoner [118]
2011-04-18 20:54:13
[13 years, 21 days ago]

I didn't mean this forum really, seems to be going smoothly in regards to lack of spam etc. There's a small amounts of off topic posting and all that, but that's standard with any forum.

Though the issue with it being somewhat level-headed is because most of us know each other, for better or for worse we're pretty much the same few people that played Bots2, and we all knew what we could/couldn't get away with, and that seems engraved into our minds. If/when the game gets bigger and there's lots of new dumb posters, there may be some sort of moderating that need to be done, but I do agree that thus far it's gone quite smoothly.

As for me pushing the boundries, sorta, I already have an idea of what I can and can't get away with. I just tend to enjoy the excitement that comes with calling someone a faggot/bringing up a negative memory from the game etc.

As for offending Ender, I'm quite sure with him admitting to being a semi-regular of /b/ that I can get away with a good amount of stuff; that's not to say I'm going to start posting naked children and image macros (fuck off if you do, you're part of the problem) but it's nice to think that we can do/say whatever we want and because of our own limitations we generally keep it civil.

tl;dr
Forum's cool, I do think we may need mods down the line, but thus far shit's awesome.
Also, I've added a tl;dr to every one of my last 5 posts or so, wtf.

Hotcocoa [101]
2011-04-19 02:37:18
[13 years, 21 days ago]

Not an ex-mod here speaking (hurray) so far, it's been quite tame here, compared to what was being put out in bots2 - or have we just adapted and become more lenient?

You're right in saying when new members approach the forum, they might not know these boundaries - or could easily be as offended or provoked into doing unexplainable actions.

So we should should set a good example, well the pace of bs, for future members ^^

To prevent shit from happening, definitely need to write up documentation asap. Or remember the sticky topics? those were nice

ActiveX [111]
Head Moderator
2011-04-19 02:46:27
[13 years, 21 days ago]

as much as I applaud your attitude of tolerance wiggin, a society without rules at some point degenerates into anarchy. It only needs one person to start a riot & many follow.

Some people just feel they have to push the boundaries & if there are no rules they will push until you crack & implement some. At that point they cry 'nazi' & feel sorry for themselves :P

So far, with the exception of a little spamming in suggestions *growls*, there has been nothing that has required moderation. But as Julia says we are a group that pretty much knows one another; with new blood that will change.

As for erica's initial post about people not arguing with mods, I say did you ever read the green forums ^^

Dragon Summoner [118]
2011-04-19 04:43:47
[13 years, 21 days ago]

Well like, what I meant was really like on other forums, the position of moderator has a sort of aura of respect/trust, but on Bots2? Not so much.

Hell I gave you guys a ton of crap and I considered you guys friends, and made it worse when I got mod myself :)

As for sticky topics etc, I could probably do it because I have nothing better to do with my time and such, so yeah.

Ender [56]
Administrator
2011-04-19 23:18:27
[13 years, 20 days ago]

You are banned! ;_;

You were issued a warning on /b/ with the following message:

Please don't post stupid unoriginal "post ending in..." threads.

Your warning was issued on April 18th, 2011. The name you were posting with was Anonymous. In addition to heeding this warning, please look over the rules and FAQ.

Now that you have seen this message, you should be able to post again. Click here to return.

-----

Stupid mods...

Also, post ending in 666 tells me whose bots4 account to delete.

Dragon Summoner [118]
2011-04-20 01:22:03
[13 years, 20 days ago]

GO ENDER GO

Skeith [74]
2011-04-20 22:16:18
[13 years, 19 days ago]

>Also, post ending in 666 tells me whose bots4 account to delete.

Just out of curiosity, were you serious about this?

About Jans arguing with himself: I've seen it.

And the point of this thread: I agree that mods tend to abuse their power (Jans... JK). sometimes you just have to suck it up and let mods be full of themselves. While playing a certain online game, I've found that employee mods actually are useful, but it's the player mods that I have issues with.

Sera [110]
2011-04-21 05:48:32
[13 years, 19 days ago]

New solution:

Mod shall be paid in bots now!

All ex mod shall get a retirement pacakge!

Hooah!

Dragon [99]
2011-04-21 06:45:18
[13 years, 19 days ago]

i'll be a mod and anyone can argue with me as much as they want.. until the boot comes down!!

Holy shit!! i need to donate to get a logo and its gunna be a boot smashing the ground!

Forum > Complaints > Arguing with Mods
Reply To Thread (login)