announcements

Forum > Announcements > Introducing longevity rankings
Reply To Thread (login)
Ender [1]
Administrator
2017-01-25 02:03:34
[7 years, 85 days ago]

The hall of fame page has a new section at the bottom for "longevity" rankings. The idea of these rankings is to show the best-of-the-best clans and bots across the game's lifetime. Rankings are listed for the following:

• Clans (monthly energy)
  • Clans (tournaments)
  • Bots (monthly energy)

And there are two ranking modes:

• Winners only - Ranked by number of first-place finishes.
  • All (via Formula One points) - Ranked by a point system corresponding to finish position.

For example, here are the monthly energy clan rankings using Formula One points. The idea of this page is that it shows the best clans across the game's lifetime, taking account not just first-place finishes, but also consistent top 10 performance.

If you have any questions about this addition, feel free to ask here. Enjoy!

Pothead [104]
2017-01-25 02:10:11
[7 years, 85 days ago]

Nice little addition to the hall of fame good job Ender :)

Esvrainzas [250]
2017-01-25 11:35:16
[7 years, 84 days ago]

Awesome Ender. It gives now a reason to be placed 2nd instead 10th. Before, we just cared for a top10 spot (both clans and individual bots).

One question, will there be any trophies associated with these rankings?

jezz [342]
2017-01-25 12:53:30
[7 years, 84 days ago]

Trophies are more than welcome for these

Project XYZ [1]
2017-01-25 13:44:52
[7 years, 84 days ago]

This is real nice. It really adds to the games enjoyment. This addition appears to only glorify the two clans that have monopolized the game for 90% of the time that Bots4 has been online.

These two clans have won 49 of the 66 months that Bots 4 has been around. It makes it look like absolutely nobody else ever has a chance, not unless they are gifted a month because these monopolizers might have been taking a month off like probably happened the 7 months they didn't win.

IMO it would be a heck of a lot more exciting to see the clans that lost by putting in an effort to get 2nd or 3rd place or even a top 10. Why not add to this longevity ranking by doing something for the multitude of losers instead of just these two all the time.

I noticed that the data from the beta time wasn't added to these rankings. Here's a novel idea for you, why don't you set up another server with a Bots 4 with all the limitations turned OFF. No silly trophy points, fast speed if you want it and everything that was in the beta. Let there be level 6 or 700 or probably level 3 or 4 thousand bots in time. Have clans that have a thousand members while paying no taxes. have unlimited energy and fights, etc. etc. You could call it Bots 5 (On Steroids) and it would probably draw a way bigger number of people to play it. I'd be there in a heartbeat because it would be more fun then watching these two win month after month.

The game is dying with the way it is right now. Theres no incentive to stay around in order to go for 2nd place all the time.

Now the two monopolizer clans can rip this posting apart like they always do when somebody challenges the way they dominate. (And don't tell me to put in the effort like you did, have heard that numerous times and it's tiresome hearing that broken record over and over again.) None of that matters really. What does matter is trying to get new and more players here before Bots is gone forever, like almost happened when flor ended it.

Amen [1]
2017-01-25 14:28:02
[7 years, 84 days ago]

Amen Zal :)

Gpof2 [130]
2017-01-25 15:23:34
[7 years, 84 days ago]

it's tiresome hearing that broken record over and over again

Ayee my thoughts exactly.

MrZal2 [100]
2017-01-25 16:51:05
[7 years, 84 days ago]
Amen Zal :)

I didn't write anything here. That Project bot isn't mine. It's fairly apparent nobody cares what I say around here anyway. Plus I don't use level 1s to talk, if it were me I'd have used this bot to complain.

As for the topic, I think it's cool. It's kinda the idea I had awhile ago about the hall of fame should represent more bots by the same person and not just a single one. Funny enough, a few of my bots are on the bots (monthly energy) list. I never really got 1st in any single month (mostly from my lack of dumpers and financial investment/time in the game) but I like that 6-7 of my bots are on the monthly energy list. Now if only we could get a game changing update someday, that would be even cooler.

Myriad [381]
2017-01-25 20:50:21
[7 years, 84 days ago]

It's definitely nice to see the total clan wins and overall clan rankings summarised in one place. The tourney clan rankings are a start but hopefully we will get direct links to see the previous tournament results one day.

Ender [1]
Administrator
2017-01-25 22:09:15
[7 years, 84 days ago]

One question, will there be any trophies associated with these rankings?

No immediate plans, no. The challenge here is that they could be a bit redundant in that all the bots already getting trophies for energy/tournament accomplishments would just end up getting more. Then again, it would be cool to "officially" recognize longevity accomplishments. It would probably have to be based off a yearly ranking though, otherwise it would be too hard for newer clans to ever catch up.

On a related note, maybe this would deserve a trophy grade above platinum. It could be neat to have some super exclusive grade for truly exceptional accomplishments. As many players are probably aware, not all platinum trophies are created equal - some aren't too special once you know the "trick".

I noticed that the data from the beta time wasn't added to these rankings.

Sorry if this restriction seemed arbitrary, that's not the intention. I added it right at the end of development because it seemed like noise to have the ~5 dead beta clans listed on the monthly energy winners page. Plus Eternal was listed twice, which probably would have confused people. If a lot of people really want these added, I don't see the harm.

What does matter is trying to get new and more players here before Bots is gone forever

Definitely agreed, attracting and retaining new players is still a top priority for me. I built this new feature just as a mini side project because I thought it was a fun idea that people would like. I guess I share Jans' obsession in ranking things with Formula One points. :)

The tourney clan rankings are a start but hopefully we will get direct links to see the previous tournament results one day.

Ah yeah, I still need to add that. I think I had a patch started for this and it shouldn't be too hard to finish. Let me see if I can get to it soon. In the meantime, in case it's not obvious, you can get to old tournament results by modifying the URL. For example, here's today's results:

http://bots4.net/tournament/edition-24

If you change the number at the end, you can navigate to older editions.

Satanus Inaximasus [333]
2017-01-26 08:39:59
[7 years, 83 days ago]

Wow this as revolutionised the game ender just watch bots explode with new players

Dynamitecop [300]
2017-01-26 12:13:52
[7 years, 83 days ago]

If anyone would like a quick route to any tournament results from the beginning until the present. I have a link to each one in my profile. Hopefully, that'll do until then. I have been using them to keep track on my positions for each month. ^^

Zord [63]
2017-01-27 10:17:06
[7 years, 82 days ago]

Great!!! I Love it :)

Pothead [105]
2017-06-23 18:12:55
[6 years, 300 days ago]

Any plans to award trophies for this yet? you mentioned awarding something maybe even higher than a plat but to be honest I wouldn't mind just a plat trophy. It would really help and I don't see many good reasons for not giving the top 100 trophies for it, it isn't overly difficult to reach the top 100 and would help up and coming players while rewarding existing players for their rankings giving all players something new to aim for. It could be done identical to the level,wins etc Hof monthly trophy

Gpof2 [131]
2017-06-23 19:04:47
[6 years, 300 days ago]

I think it would make the gap between established players and new ones larger. We already get monthly trophies for everything the rankings pertain to. It's definitely a good incentive, but it will become saturated with long-time bots like the HoF and suffer the same issues.

Carbohydrate13 [78]
2017-06-23 19:31:52
[6 years, 300 days ago]

A new player would only have to come 2nd for monthly energy once at the moment to start picking up vital trophy points so I disagree, but I highly doubt Ender will do it anyway.

-pothead

Pat [26]
2017-06-24 01:38:45
[6 years, 300 days ago]

They'd have to do it 10 times to get in the top 10. At the moment it's not bad for the lower spots, but over time it wouldn't be nearly as easy. I'm not against the idea as I'm always down for more trophy points, but I still think it will become just like the rest of the top monthly trophies.

Forum > Announcements > Introducing longevity rankings
Reply To Thread (login)