announcements

Forum > Announcements > Looking back on 2017
Reply To Thread (login)
Ender [1]
Administrator
2017-12-20 04:05:11
[6 years, 128 days ago]

I won't make excuses. 2017 wasn't a great year for the game in terms of my involvement. I burned out on my admin duties pretty hard earlier this year, so very few features/improvements were made to the game during this time. I took a big step back from the game for many months. The hope was that this might rekindle my interest and motivation, but I mostly moved on with my life instead.

I recently took on a management role at my day job, so I'm doing less programming in my day-to-day duties. This in turn means my desire to write code is no longer being satisfied as frequently by my day job, which is good news for the game. A few weeks ago I got my toes wet by going through a bunch of miscellaneous bugs that had accumulated while I was away. It was fun!

I'll be traveling for about a month starting in a couple days, but when I return in 2018, I'm hoping to make it the year of this game's resurgence in popularity and activity. I'm willing to invest my time and a substantial amount of money (read: advertising) to grow it.

Finally, without going into details, I know many of you want action taken regarding certain things that have gone on this year. I'm sorry I haven't replied to any of the bmails about this. It's a lot to sort through and I want to do it right. I promise you'll hear back on this in time and that there will be satisfying resolutions. I appreciate your patience and understanding here.

So here's to 2018 - I hope you have a great holiday season and I'll see you all next year. Thank you, as always, for playing. :)

jesmo4 [200]
2017-12-20 06:23:48
[6 years, 128 days ago]

i hope this is not only another promise... /fifty

Chriseps [168]
2017-12-20 06:37:47
[6 years, 128 days ago]

I only started playing a few months ago and i still think its a fun game. Sure, it can use some improvements, but which game doesnt? I'm looking forward to next year's improvements tho, innovation is always a good thing.

For now, have fun traveling, and see you after that!

D3FT0N37 [75]
2017-12-20 07:44:52
[6 years, 128 days ago]

I came back to the game after about ten years absence (bots2 was one of the main things that got me through a year of cancer treatment) and I'm having a blast figuring out all the stuff that's new to me, like energy. That said, I'm happy to hear there will be improvements in the future. And honestly, I have no idea why I stayed away this long.

Cheers! Anthony

MrZal2 [100]
2017-12-20 11:50:49
[6 years, 128 days ago]

Honestly I think it might be a better idea to come up with a new idea for a new game and spend money on that than beat this old horse more. Or make a new server with different rules. Just something different. It would also probably be easier to make then figuring out the old code on this site.

Maybe make a clan-based game that's based on something like gaining land with a map and stuff and has monthly resets so everyone is equal at the beginning of it. I'd play that. The only real thing I dislike about this game is the entire stockpiling part of it.

I'm just throwing stuff out there though, I'm saying it might be better to focus on something new and use other skills and maybe you'll end up making a better game overall in the end than you did before.

Satanus Inaximasus [335]
2017-12-20 16:29:59
[6 years, 128 days ago]

Well I won't be getting my hopes up on you doing anything to the game Ender... But let's hope it isn't just another empty promise and you actually do something to the game...

Hope you enjoy your travelling :)

Ender [1]
Administrator
2017-12-20 18:50:30
[6 years, 128 days ago]

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Tempering your expectations is absolutely fair given my track record. Judge the results, not my words. Time will tell.

Glad to hear that folks are rediscovering the game after some time away and enjoying it. The nice thing is that the game is 100% playable and stable. It's those that have been around awhile that want to see certain long-requested features added.

As for the idea about a new game, I have always wanted to try something completely new, rather than rebuilding an old game. bots4 will always have a special place in my heart and so even though it's very niche and will likely have limited growth because of that, I'll never let it die. Maybe once I get things to the point where it's more popular, I'd be content to move onto an additional side project. I still feel like I have "unfinished business" here though.

Chriseps [168]
2017-12-20 19:04:44
[6 years, 128 days ago]

if you're travelling to the netherlands, please make sure to come by and gimme that 'met ender' plat ;)

Storm of Memories [150]
2017-12-23 05:25:16
[6 years, 125 days ago]

Welcome to the club of MANAGERS.

Best regards,
Mr. Manager

Zord [71]
2017-12-31 07:15:33
[6 years, 117 days ago]

gz on the new job..

The game needs you! Personally i haven't played a lot for quite some time... New improvements might do it for me..

Pothead2 [1]
2018-01-22 01:01:15
[6 years, 96 days ago]

Looking back on 2017 what a boring and incredibly uncompetitive year which has made me pretty much quit outright like a lot of others. What a surprise ender... Escapism is the only clan to win a month since you agreed years ago with me reducing the contributing member cap of a clan to ten as being reasonable.

Hi everybody.

Chriseps [168]
2018-01-22 12:36:22
[6 years, 95 days ago]

hi potty \o

Forum > Announcements > Looking back on 2017
Reply To Thread (login)