suggestions

galve [43]
2011-04-20 06:43:13
[13 years, 27 days ago]

This is more cosmetic than feature-full, but what about displaying our stats such as hp/str/dex/con/int/kudos?/ underneath the exp bar on our little box at the top that shows name and lvl. Would just be nice for quick references.

(this is more what i like than a suggestion, people will most likely disagree with it)--
About the showroom..personally I liked the way the showroom was done in bots2 where it didn't tell you how long until new items arrived..as far as a count down..plus I kinda think the timer is set low.. unless this is intentional for beta? If not I think it just make it to easy to get the items you want.. I liked the anticipation of when the market would refresh and see whats there, this is also coming from someone who watched the battle window know I could check and know for sure what the outcome is.

Voxymaus [152]
2011-04-20 06:46:40
[13 years, 27 days ago]

I'd have to disagree for the following reasons

1. It'd just look way too messy
2. There is no reason for this, it's just as fast to click on the workshop or open it in a new tab

Really, it's just a matter of one or two clicks. I don't think it's that hard, is it?

Voxymaus [152]
2011-04-20 06:49:30
[13 years, 27 days ago]

That was in reply to your suggestion on the little box, not the showroom.

galve [43]
2011-04-20 06:49:41
[13 years, 27 days ago]

No it's not hard or anything. Like I said, it was just out of my pure laziness of not wanting to press the button is all, but you're right it would look messy now that I think of it.

Ender [56]
Administrator
2011-04-20 07:46:39
[13 years, 27 days ago]

Kudos will probably be added as soon as I come up with a way of showing it that I like.

galve [43]
2011-04-20 08:31:09
[13 years, 27 days ago]

Hey even just kudo would be awesome.. :D you the man Ender!!!

Master Blaster [31]
2011-04-20 11:46:45
[13 years, 27 days ago]

Why not just have every item available all the time? That way you can just buy what you want when you want it. Do away with the timer all together. Not being able to buy something when you want it is a pain in the ass. And when it is there and you try to buy it and "Oops" somebody else beat you to it comes up is a major pain.

Also, in my opinion Bots 4 is a new game, (or it should be) it's now Enders game not floRs game any more. Why not change the name of Kudos to something else? And for that matter change the name of all the training bots and everything else too. You can change around equipment names as well. Make it look new. I was looking at the training bots and Terminator 2000 and Terminator 2002 are still there. Shouldn't the name of those be updated to Terminator 2010 and maybe Terminator 2012. Bots 2 came out 10 years ago so things need to be updated!

Yes it is nice that things are familier but like I said floR is gone. Ender, don't take this the wrong way because you are doing a great job with bringing this game back. My thinking is that the game Bots 4 should be new and it should be all yours. (Make it look like your creation not somebody elses.) The game play can be the same, thats fine but maybe the look of the game needs to be updated because everything looks like what floR did 10 years ago.

Unless maybe you have some sort of agreement with floR that I don't know about and it has to stay the same. If thats so then why not just get the original code from him and then make additions to that? It would be a heck of a lot easier for you I would think. Thats my thoughts. Hope they haven't offended because thats not my intention...

Emanuel [128]
2011-04-20 11:50:05
[13 years, 27 days ago]

Aren't you the same guy who less than an hour ago wrote: "No need to change anything. If too many changes are made then it wouldn't be bots now would it?" ?

Master Blaster [31]
2011-04-20 12:19:17
[13 years, 27 days ago]

No, actually I said that a couple of days ago. And I said it because there is ALWAYS resistance to suggestions that actually change something. People on here make jokes and call people names if they suggest something out of the ordinary. I'm thinking that may be because people are narrow minded and don't like change.

The fact remains. Bots 4 looks like Bots 2 did 10 years ago. I'm not saying thats bad. I am saying that its the same old same old. Making a few minor changes doesn't really require the games name to be changed from Bots 2 to Bots 4. I would say that the number of changes being made would call for the name to be Bots 2.25 not Bots 4.

I still maintain that Ender needs to put his mark on HIS game. Its better that way and it might draw in NEW people. Not that having all of the old regulars come back is a bad thing because it isn't. I have enjoyed chatting with a lot of my old friends again... :)

Zefix [83]
2011-04-20 12:33:33
[13 years, 27 days ago]

The thing is it takes time. This version of bots was completely rewritten from scratch apparently, which is not that common knowledge. People who come here (and played bots2 before) will often think Ender just took the entire source code and pasted it.

If that happened it makes sense that people want changes already to have happened since then, but since he had to do it from nothing its not gonna be that fast. But yeah I'm all about changes, and Ender is also for changes so people who want changes do not have to worry as Ender said before he is not gonna do a democracy on what people want, but what he thinks is good for the game.

So this game will get the changes eventually but its not gonna be a next minute thing. The suggestion forum is here to help Ender get a feel for what changes players want but if he thinks is not that great he won't add it - even if theres a overwhelming forum posters for it. I think anyways.

Master Blaster [33]
2011-04-21 14:05:57
[13 years, 26 days ago]

I trust that Ender knows what he's doing. In fact he is way more enthusiastic about this then floR was (at least at the end of Bots 2). All floR liked to do was sell stars.

I'm not trying to put anybody down because Ender and anybody that he might have assisting is doing a great job. All i'm doing is commenting because I DO NOT know what is going on. I'm not on the inside but I am curious. With that said, in my opinion it "appears" like there is some connection to floR in all this. (Maybe thats a good thing I don't know.)

Either Ender has a photographic memory or he kept perfect notes while Bots 2 was going on because as far as I can tell everything is the same. All of the training bots have identical names to what floR used and so does all of the equipment in the shop. Everything is exact, same stats same everything.

I am just wondering if floR is helping? If he is then why not just use his code and add to it? It would be a lot easier I would think instead of doing this from scratch. Plus I'm scratching my head as to how Ender can remember exactly what every weapon stat is. heck I couldn't remember what all of the training bots were named never mind everything else...................... Just curious thats all.

Master Blaster [33]
2011-04-21 14:13:52
[13 years, 26 days ago]

Plus, is there any copy right infringment as far as floR is concerened? Being that just about everything is the same as what floR had in Bots 2. Has he made any objections to Bots 4 being "almost" copied directly from what bots 2 was?

Not that it matters but i'm just wondering thats all.

Enquiring minds want to know...

Emanuel [128]
2011-04-21 14:22:26
[13 years, 26 days ago]

Ender's fansite had all equipment, training bots, formulas etc. from bots2 before it was hacked, I also believe he got floR's "permission" to use it all.

> If he is then why not just use his code and add to it? It would be a lot easier I would think instead of doing > this from scratch.

Because that would be like paying $10,000 for a paint job on this car:
http://www.donatingacartoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/junk-car-donation.jpg

Just a waste of time and money. Also, reading and understanding someone else's code is rather difficult, so I believe doing it all from scratch is easier, faster, funnier and safer.

Draoi [134]
2011-04-21 14:27:52
[13 years, 26 days ago]

I think ender's main concern was that he wanted to make it is own and have a little fun with it. Also to make it a shinier star on his resume. ;)

Ender [56]
Administrator
2011-04-21 14:34:48
[13 years, 26 days ago]

For game data like equipment, training bots, formulas, etc., I maintained a fansite for bots2 called Bots Unauthorized (edmazur.com/bots), so most of it came from there.

As for copyright/consent/whatever, this project has been cleared with floR and has his support. The blue homepage is still up and has a link to this domain.

As for just taking the bots2 code and running with it (assuming this option is even on the table - I don't know that it is), most of the fun for me is writing the game. I'm a programmer and I like writing web applications. Plus this way I can use a backend setup I'm familiar with, allowing more flexibility later on when I want to add new things. And it would be silly anyway to scrap what I have considering I've been working on this for over a year now.

Sera [110]
2011-04-21 15:40:53
[13 years, 26 days ago]

See thats what I wanted to clear up.

Most people who do suggestion or want new stuff DO NOT know that Ender make this game from scratch, they see.. hey this looks IDENTICAL to Bots2, what did he change and if he did not, why not, since all he had to do was copy and paste floR's code?

Thats what pretty much summed up my post earlier. It takes times people be patient and give Ender time. If he really pasted and copied Bots2 code we would have bots pictures, clan profiles, clan forums ages ago and all the other stuff from Bots2 ages ago.

Master Blaster [33]
2011-04-22 11:59:55
[13 years, 25 days ago]

Thanks for clarifying things Ender. I'm just curious is all. Now I remember the bots calculation web site you had and still have. I should have realized thats where some of the data came from. Thats cool. Good idea using that for sure.

You are doing a great job with this project. Keep up the good work. I'll be around for the grand reopening event in the near future and can't wait. If I can help let me know. You definitely have my support. :-)